Friday, August 22, 2008

Rain rain go away, come back another day

The weather in Germany is a lot like Seattle which is why it is so green and lush here. There is a lot of rain and it is generally pretty temperate. Summer days are usually only in the high 60s to low 70s, but it doesn't get below freezing in the winter.

I am hoping that my gardening abilities might be enhanced by the rain. I was never able to keep anything alive in Denver. I bought a bunch of plants last night for our new balcony. Initially I wasn't planning to buy plants until we got back from Greece. I was worried there would be no one here to water them. I don't know what I was thinking.

I got stuck in Karstadt yesterday for a few hours while I waited for it to stop raining. I finally gave up and braved the rain after I had explored every inch of the store. Ironically, I initially went into the store to look for an umbrella.

I have been searching for a new bathmat and thought I'd check out Karstat's collection. For some reason rugs for the bathroom are insanely expensive here. I'm talking 150 euros. I am curious to know what is so special about these rugs. Do they have gold thread? Or maybe 125 euros sewn into them? Some of them seem to simply be really thick towels? I am perplexed.

Today Jim and I are going to go for a ride and hopefully won't get wet. Then this evening there is a going away party for an Australian guy from Orica and his family. They are moving back to Australia in a few weeks. I don't think he really liked the weather here in Germany.

I am hoping to also hit a wine festival tonight after the party. When I was walking around in the rain yesterday, I saw a bunch tables set up in Munsterplatz. There were local wine vendors set up around the platz selling their wines. Of course there were a few sausage vendors as well.

No comments: