Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A good day

Yesterday was a great day. Since we have been here it has been a bit of a roller coaster as far as emotions go. One minute we can't believe how lucky we are to have this opportunity and the next we are frustrated with how difficult things can be when you don't know the language.

It is interesting how achieving one small thing can make you feel so good. Yesterday, I got directions to a watch repair shop and actually found it. When I am able to get something right I feel such a sense of accomplishment. Who knew getting a watch repaired could be so satisfying?

I have two German classes a week. The class lasts about 2 hours and 15 minutes. For some reason, my German teacher thinks I have a Scandanavian accent and Jim has a French accent when speaking German. The French accent makes sense for Jim, but I'm not sure how he gets a Scandanavian accent with me. Maybe it is the midwest accent coming through?

I actually learned some useful things in German in yesterday's class. Until now, a lot of the class was talking about the brown dog. Is the brown dog small or big? Who owns the brown do? Where is the aforementioned brown dog sitting? Is he under the table or on the carpet? Not things that are exactly useful in everyday conversations (albeit things I should definitely know).

I was going to take some pictures of the woods near our house where I walk and bike but the camera was dead. I'll have to do it another day. Today is gray and rainy so isn't ideal for pictures.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Hi,

Mom and dad own the brown dog. He usually lays on the carpet or in the chair close to mom.
Ha ha ha
Love ya,
Dad