Saturday, July 19, 2008

Musical Laundromat

I went to my favorite laundromat yesterday. I found this laundromat the last time I was here in June. The staff is really helpful which was a great relief after my frustrating laundromat experience in Cologne. In Cologne I couldn't figure out how the German washers worked and had a cafe full of old men across the street entertained for a good hour.

The Bonn laundromat has a cafe in it so I can get a coffee while I'm waiting for my laundry. Yesterday while studying my German and drinking my cappuccino, a guy sat down at the piano in the laundromat and started playing Chopin. I'm not a big fan of hanging out at laundromats but this one certainly makes it more enjoyable. I would never have thought of putting a piano in a laundromat.

One of the things I noticed yesterday is that there are bookcases around the city (usually near a park). From what I can gather, people take a book if they need one and put one there when they are done with it - like a penny dish in the US. I checked but didn't see any books in English so I'll have to improve my German before I can take advantage of it.

Last night Jim and I ate dinner at a restaurant near our house. Jim finally broke down and got the schnitzel. It tasted a lot like chicken fried steak to me. I don't think I'm a schnitzel person.

We of course enjoyed our dinner at a wobbly table. Either every table in Bonn has a wobble to it or we just end up choosing poorly. It is starting to get comical. I may start carrying around a book of matches to fix the tables.

Something else I noticed the first time I was here was the huge amount of graffiti all over the city. Unfortunately our house didn't escape getting tagged either. There is a one story building next to our house which provides easy access to the canvas which is our building. It is sad to see such beautiful architecture marred by graffiti.

No comments: