Monday, March 9, 2009

Germans and their Ice Cream

Last summer I saw millions of Germans lining up at the gelato shops all over Bonn to get their ice cream fix. Of course then it was sunny (well maybe not exactly sunny but not raining) and warm-ish. Knowing that the winter would bring cold and rainy weather, I thought to myself that it must be hard for all of these ice cream shops to stay in business since most of them did not have indoor seating.


Germans, however, do not seem to be phased by the cold in the least. They ride around town on bikes without hats and gloves, while I am bundled up in wool sweaters, hats, gloves and countless scarves.

All winter long, I saw people eating ice cream walking around downtown. When I was craving hot chocolate, hot tea or soup, they were strolling around with frozen treats. It is such an odd sight to see someone in a hat and gloves eating an ice cream cone outside. You just don't see it in the US. Sure, someone might go to Baskin Robbins and sit inside and eat ice cream in the winter, but they aren't wandering around in the cold.

Has growing up in America made me soft? What happened to my hearty German genes?

No comments: