Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chillin' in Edinburgh

On the train heading to Wigan Sunday night, I met an older gentleman while we were both waiting for the bathroom. When he found out I was going to Wigan, he simply asked “WHY?” I think that pretty much sums up my trip to Wigan. He was from a small town near Wigan and said they only thing Wigan has going for it was that they had a good rugby team. Thankfully, I wasn’t expecting much for my day in Wigan.

When we arrived in Wigan, Jim was opposed to calling the hotel for directions. He decided to use Google on his blackberry which has never worked out for us despite the several times we’ve tried it. When we finally arrived at the hotel according to Jim’s blackberry Google, it was actually an abandoned lot. We did finally find the hotel after Jim called and asked for directions. All I can say about the hotel is that if you ever find yourself in Wigan (although why would you?), don’t stay at the Wigan Oak Hotel.

While we were walking through the town lost, we were surprised to hear loud music coming from every bar and dance club we passed. We looked at each other, thinking the same thing: It is Sunday, right? I guess everyone was getting a head start on their St. Patrick celebrations a few days early.

The next day while Jim worked, I wandered around the town and did some shopping. There weren’t really any sights to see so I ended up buying a book and hanging out in a coffee shop.

That afternoon we drove up to Edinburgh so we were able to have dinner in Edinburgh rather than Wigan. We stayed at the Roxburghe Hotel which was a beautiful hotel and a really good value for an upscale hotel. . http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/roxburghe/accommodation/index.htm

After settling into our hotel, we went in search of food. Based on a recommendation from an employee of another restaurant, we ended up at The Dogs. http://www.thedogsonline.co.uk/. The restaurant had a laid back French bistro feel to it and true to its name had a huge picture of a dog behind the bar. The restaurant was reasonably priced and had an eclectic menu. I think they considered themselves a gastro-pub. Looking back, it was the best meal we had in Edinburgh.

The next day, I was lucky enough to have another beautiful, sunny day. I walked around the town while Jim was in his meeting to orient myself with the town. I walked up to the Edinburgh castle and along the touristy Royal Mile. I stopped for lunch at a healthy, vegetarian restaurant called Always Sunday. I would recommend that place to anyone looking to avoid the traditional Haggis or fish and chips prevalent in the touristy areas.

Jim and I met up after his meeting and walked up to the Edinburgh Castle. It was too late be able to see the entire castle so we planned to come back the next day. We walked down to the Palace of the Holyroodhouse along the Royal Mile before heading back to the hotel. We made reservations at Atrium which was close to the hotel but it was a disappointing dining experience. The menu looked good but the restaurant wasn’t able to pull it off. I had the feeling that they hadn’t quite grown into their concept just yet. They were like a little boy wearing dad’s suit coat. Unfortunately, the majority of the fine dining options are located out by the Leith Docks which require a cab. The next time we go, it would be worth a cab ride to check out the restaurants in that area.

The next day we took a tour of the Edinburgh Castle which was definitely worth the 10 euro. It had a few different exhibits on the history of the castle, the history of military service and battles throughout Scotland’s history, and also the history of the crown jewels. We had an afternoon flight so weren’t able to see any of the area’s museums or other sights.

We ended our trip by sitting outside in the sun at an Italian restaurant on George Street and having a relaxing lunch.

I’d love to visit the countryside and some of the castles outside of the city if I get another chance to spend some time in Edinburgh.

No comments: