Friday, February 6, 2009

Thai Massage (sans happy ending)

I have walked by a Thai massage place about 20 times and have been really curious as to what it would be like. Since I was in serious need of a massage and the price was right (only 28 euro for 60 minutes), I decided to give it a try.

I didn't exactly know how Thai massage would differ from the traditional Swedish massages I've had in spas. I had heard that they use more pressure points and use the weight of their bodies more. Of course, I've also heard about the happy endings but according to my German teacher you only have to worry about that if you go to someone advertising for erotic massage in the newspaper. He assured me that it is a legitimate massage place if they have an actual store front.

I would give the massage a 5 out of 10. The ambiance was definitely not there. I was told to undress in front of the older Asian lady and she put a thin blanket over me once I was laying on the futon. I couldn't help wonder how many other naked people had been under the same blanket. I'm sure they wash that stuff regularly, right?

The room was absolutely freezing which didn't help with the relaxation. Plus after massaging my back, the woman put Tiger Balm on me. It is just like Icy Hot so I was even colder than I had been.

A lot of the massaging was typical to Swedish massage but just a little faster. She did crack my back, fingers and toes which was definitely a departure from most of my massages. I'm not sure how much I enjoyed that.

I was pretty sore for a few days after the massage. I'm not sure if that was because she got a bunch of the knots out of my back or she just didn't know what she was doing.

I haven't decided yet if I'll go back or not. I might wait until the weather is warmer so I don't freeze. I don't think they heat the massage rooms.

No comments: