Sunday, February 15, 2009

Monschau, Germany

On Friday, I went to a little German town bordering Belgium called Monschau. A few of the wives at Jim's company organized the outing.

Monschau is located within the Eifel National Park and in the Hohe Eifel or High Eifel. So although there was no snow in Bonn, we were able to drive about 90 minutes to a quaint snow covered little town.

As it was a Friday and the middle of winter, the town was not really busy. However, in the spring, summer and fall this sleepy little town is packed with Belgian, French and German tourists.


Two rivers converge in the town so there are a number of canals running through the town. During the more temporate seasons, the canals are lined with flower boxes.

We basically walked around the small center of town and stopped for a bite to eat at a little bakery / cafe. I made the mistake of ordering Pfanne Kuchen which I though was Flamm Kuchen. I thought I was ordering the German version of the Tarte Flambee which is a thin crust pizza with fresh cheese and onions or bacon but instead got a bacon pancake, big difference!


There are a lot of hiking trails in the area so it would be a great little spot to stop for a Kaffee and Kuchen after a long hike. I'll have to come back with Jim sometime this spring.

There is also a good Christmas market here which I'll have to remember for next year.

No comments: