Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Christmas Tree, oh Christmas Tree

Well, I've got my Christmas tree up! Since we are coming to the states on Dec. 19th, I wanted to have a tree up for at least a little while. Also without that pesky Thanksgiving holiday in the way, I can start gearing up for Christmas a little earlier.

I also figured that I needed to get into the Christmas spirit to get ready for the Bonn Christmas Market (Weihnachtmarkt) which starts this Sunday. The downtown area is already getting set up with decorated wooden stalls, rides and an ice rick. I can't wait!

I decided to go for the potted, living tree this year instead of going the cut tree route for a number of reasons. I figured that if I can keep this little guy alive for a year, then I can use it again next year. (Not very likely considering that my plant graveyard on the deck seems to be growing.) I also didn't want to have to deal with figuring out what to do with a tree before we leave to come home. I couldn't keep it up - a dried out tree could be a fire hazard and since we have no smoke or fire alarms here I thought it would be risky. It also seems to be the German way to do it. I haven't seen any cut trees yet, just little live ones.

The tree is a bit skinny so I couldn't fit too many ornaments on him but all in all he isn't too bad. Unfortunately my tree topper is too heavy for the tree causing him to tip over and spill dirt everywhere, so he's topless for now.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You've got a little package coming your way with some Christmas cheer too!

Alison said...

Whoo Hoo! I love packages.