Tuesday, September 2, 2008

French Target

On our way back from the Eifel National Park on Saturday, we decided to stop over in Belgium to hit the Carrefour, the French version of Target without the friendly, helpful staff. It has just about anything you could want. The best part is that everything is in French so at least one of us knows what we are buying.

Sunday was another gorgeous day. After we rode rides, we went to the Rheinaue Park for a picnic. The Rheinaue Park is a large park almost the same size as downtown Bonn. It runs along the Rhein river so is appropriately named. Within the park, there are several gardens, a number of lakes and countless paved and dirt paths.

I intended to take some pictures of a serene Japanese garden I found one day on a walk. Unfortunately, the garden was overrun with screaming children playing in the waterfall so wasn't all that serene. I decided I'd have to come back to the park on a day other than Sunday to take some good pictures.

It was a great afternoon / evening for a picnic. We had some wine, cheese and bread and just relaxed.

One of the great things about Europe is the cost of wine. It costs about the same as a bottle of water. So why drink water?

Last week, I got a few more plants for our deck. I'm not sure why I have recently developed an affinity for plants. I think I am worried about the gray winter here. If I'm not spending time outside, then I'll bring the outside in. I decided to take a picture of the deck before I've managed to kill these poor plants. I fear for their lives.

1 comment:

Family Sleuther said...

Carrefour is so popular in Ras al Khaimah that it's actually the anchor store for that emirate's mall. High school kids go there cruising (to see and be seen...well, to see as much as the burka will allow, I suppose).