Friday, March 11, 2011

Liège Market

On a dreary Sunday in Bonn, we decided last minute to drive to Belgium and hit the Liège market. Some friends of ours go there pretty regularly and recommended it. I think for them it is an opportunity to speak French and do some shopping on a Sunday.

Jim had been suggesting a day trip to Liège for the last year. My trepidation regarding a visit to Liège was based largely on the fact that my father went to Liege for work. Since he was an industrial appraiser, he usually visited heavily industrialized cities which tended not to be very scenic unless of course you consider smokestacks to be good scenery.

However, the idea of going to one of the largest markets in Belgium and eating some good French food won me over.

We got a later start than planned so by the time we arrived both Jim and Sabine were ravenous and we needed to find a place to eat pronto. We picked the first place that looked like it had enough space for us and the stroller. Ross and Myriam came to meet us at the restaurant. Lunch was really tasty but the service was very slow. By the time we were done with lunch, the market was closing up.

I wasn’t planning to buy anything so it didn’t really bother me. Plus it was so cold and blustery that day that sitting in a warm restaurant was preferable to wandering around the market in my opinion.

After speeding through what was left of the market, we stopped at a park to let the kids play before getting back in the car to head back to Bonn.

Sabine loves to spin. I, however, started to get sick after about 10 minutes of spinning.

All in all, it was a pretty ok way to spend a Sunday but I'd rather go back when the weather is better. Maybe the city won't look so dreary if the sun is out. The city seemed to lack a lot of charm. Here's Ross, Eloise and I posing in front of a scrap metal barge.

The next time I find myself complaining about the dreary weather in Bonn, I’ll have to remember that it could be worse; we could be living in Belgium

No comments: