Saturday, September 25, 2010

Litigation File

I finally attended my "to be filed" stack tonight. It is never a good thing when you realize that you need to create a litigation file.

I thought that the U.S. was over-litigous but we had to move to Germany to get sued.

Back in January, I received a bill for the swimming pool membership. Since I didn't want to have a membership once Sabine was born, I ignored it. In the U.S. when you join a gym, they are meticulous in going over what the member's obligations are to cancel the membership. In this instance, it was a community gym and I filled out a form that had my address and name on it to join. I must have missed the small print at the bottom of the page. I've learned my lesson that I must translate everything I sign. I guess as a lawyer that is something I should already know. Thankfully, one of our German friends is about to take his bar exam and was able to help us clear up this little misunderstanding.

This past month our landlord also threatened to sue us. We've been fighting with him over how much to reduce our rent due to the repairs being made to our winter garden i.e. storage space off of our bedroom. This process has once again proved that Germans may know how to make cars but building repairs aren't their thing.

1 comment:

Michelle James said...

Hi there,

I wonder if you might be able to help?

I am a Producer working on a television show called House Hunters International in New York which follows English speaking expats in their quest to purchase a house abroad. I am hoping to find an English speaking expat to profile who has bought property in Germany in the last two years. Have you purchased a home in Germany? I wonder if you or anyone you know might be interested in getting involved?! Please find a little blurb about the show below:

House Hunters International is a half-hour program currently airing on the Home and Garden Television Network (HGTV). The program is a spin-off of the popular House Hunters and has spent the last several seasons exploring the idiosyncrasies of buying real estate in other countries. HHI is about a personal journey of discovery and the making of life-long dreams.

The series is designed to de-mystify the international home- buying process by going behind the scenes of a house hunt where buyers and their real estate agents tour 3 homes. At its core, House Hunters International is a travel show concentrating on the idiosyncrasies of the locales and what makes them special and different. A great deal of effort will be made to capture rich visuals and to provide sequences where viewers will be exposed to local vistas, traditions, lifestyles and architecture.

Please get in touch if you have any more questions about the show. I look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes and many thanks,

Michelle

Michelle James
Associate Producer
LEOPARD FILMS USA
127 East 26th Street, New York, NY 10010.
+1 212 843 2821
michelle.james@leopardfilms.com
www.leopardfilms.com