Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Successful 1st Turkey Day

Last Friday we celebrated Thanksgiving with a Swedish couple from Jim’s work. I decided that for my first time entertaining on Thanksgiving I’d invite a couple who didn’t know anything about the American Holiday. That way if anything didn’t turn out, they would have no idea what it was supposed to taste like or compare it to their great Aunt Bessie’s recipe. Plus we only have two additional chairs so our entertaining is generally limited to one other couple.

I decided to go the route of a turkey breast rather than the whole turkey. I figured that most people like the breast meat the most and with my tiny oven I’d have to have a rather small turkey. I also didn’t want to have another overcooked turkey like last year’s Thanksgiving attempt.

I brined the turkey in a salt and brown sugar solution at my mother’s recommendation, and it turned out beautifully. After brining, I slathered it with some herbs and put it in an oven bag to cook. I couldn’t believe how flavorful and moist it was, even the next day. I’d definitely recommend the brining technique.

The rest of the menu was pretty traditional and basic with sage stuffing, sweet potatoes topped with caramelized pecans, green beans with toasted almonds and a warm cranberry sauce but surprisingly everything turned out really well. I think it was the first time entertaining that I was pleased with everything I served.

I’m not a huge fan of pumpkin pie. My slice is generally slathered in so much whipping cream that you can’t even tell there is pie under there. So for dessert I decided to make a French Apple Tart from cooking light. It looked quite pro for the non baker that I am and was very tasty along with some vanilla ice cream.

All in all it was a successful Thanksgiving. Jim said that it was the best Thanksgiving he’d ever had. I’m not sure though if that was because I had a knife in my hand at the time or that he is smart enough to know that he should tell his very pregnant wife who has cooked and cleaned all day that it is the best food to ever touch his lips.

No comments: