Monday, August 17, 2009

Euro Toilets - 101

All of the toilets here in Europe are wall mounted toilets. The the tank is actually built into the wall. This gives the bathroom a streamlined look and saves on space which is necessary in smaller European bathrooms. It also makes cleaning the bathroom easier. You can easily get under the toilet to clean the floor and there is less actual toilet to clean which is always a good thing.

The prevailing brand seems to be Geberit throughout all of Europe. They all have a two button flushing system. At first this confused me. I was unsure of which button to use and why there were two different buttons. After thinking about the two main uses for the toilet, I’ve concluded that the big button is for big jobs and the little button is for little jobs or a button each for number 1 or number 2.

Overall, I prefer the look of the European toilets and the environmentally friendly flushing system. However, recently our toilet has been running more often which has started me thinking about what happens when you have a problem with your toilet? Do they have to tear down the wall to fix it? It seems like an awfully labor intensive process to fix something simple like a broken ballcock. Do the Euro toilets even have a ballcock? Odds are that the mechanics of the toilet are different. Maybe they have something really cool that I don’t even know about?

Yes, this blog has officially got to pot and yes, I couldn’t resist the temptation to use the word ballcock three times during the course of this posting.

2 comments:

Jen said...

European toilets are interesting. I personally enjoy going to public/restaurant toilets just to see what type they have.

Alison said...

I know. My favorite is the outdoor standing urinal. Although it might be a two way tie with the simple hole in the floor toilet I saw in France.