Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Nice Neighbors

When I got back from Colorado I was disappointed to find that our new downstairs neighbors had not yet moved in. I was looking forward to meeting some new people. However I didn't want to get my hopes up too high because Germans can be a bit reserved and not overly friendly to strangers so I wasn't sure what to expect.

On Sunday morning as Jim was leaving for his ride, he found a vase of flowers with a handwritten note (in German) just outside our door. Our neighbors had been at the house when we were not in and left the flowers for us. In their note they let us know that they wouldn't be moving in until the end of April or beginning of May but would be around now and then working on the apartment to get it just the way they want it. They gave us their contact information and even a website so we could see what they looked like. Of course, I had some difficulty reading the handwriting so took the note to my German teacher to make sure that I had everything right. I was quite proud that I was able to understand the generalities of the letter.

Then last night our neighbor rang our bell and came up to introduce himself in person. He was very nice but when pressed to speak German I struggled a bit so it was a short introduction.

Now I am even more motivated to take my German to the next level. I want to be able to have a meaningful conversation with our nice new neighbors.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: